Time management is arguably one of the most important aspects of a professional’s success. The ability to efficiently handle a busy schedule is essential for CEOs and has been a topic of discussion among Vistage group members. A planner, whether paper or electronic, is a tool many experienced business professionals use as a way of mastering time management. Here are a few ideas that may help to improve your own daily planner:
- Place your long-term goals in the beginning or your planner. These will serve as guidance for your weekly short-term goals and motivation for completing them.
- Jot down ideas! Almost everyone has had a great idea and a week later forgotten all about it. By writing down your ideas, you will be able to go back to them on the exact day you had the idea.
- Write down the non-scheduled events from your day. Your planner should be just as much a reference tool for the past as it is an organizer for the future.
- Remind yourself a day in advance of important events by putting them down in your planner the day before. This will allow you to mentally prepare for the upcoming event and not be caught off guard the day of the event.
- Set aside a time slot in the morning to organize your planner. Investing time into your planner is the only way to make it efficient.
There are hundreds of ways of setting up and using a daily planner, and different methods work better for different people. Although one thing is certain for everyone, the most important thing to do with your planner is use it! Invest the initial time and stick with it and your life will become easier, more organized and more efficient.